Welcome to the 79th year of The Marine Club for which I am honoured to be able to serve the Club as your president for the 2017/18 year. I extend my thanks to the members, corporate sponsors along with the executive for the opportunity to serve you in this role. The Marine Club is an important part of the marine industry in Ontario and the Great Lakes as we bring people together to network along with promote our wonderful marine industry.
As the marine industry and economy evolves so does The Marine Club as we reach out to our membership for feedback on how we can better serve the needs of the marine community and introduce the next generation of mariners to the great traditions we have. This is the second year of our corporate membership and we extend our great appreciation to all the corporations who have supported the Club. The funds raised by the Club go towards our Good Works Program(s) which are used to promote and assist the marine industry. In the past year over $50,000 was distributed to various organizations:
- Bursaries to Navigation and Engineering Cadets
- Scholarships to Georgian College cadets
- Financial support to the Royal Canadian Sea Cadets
- Financial support to the Mission to Seafarers – The Mission to Seafarers provides help and support to the 1.5 million crewmen and women helping to promote the spiritual, moral and physical well-being of Seafarers and their families world-wide.
- Financial support to the Toronto Brigantine who assist under privileged children with opportunities to sail
Together we The Marine Club continue to build on our strong foundation and work to better this industry. We encourage the membership to join us in our many events during the year to enjoy the networking within the marine industry while supporting marine related causes through good works.
On behalf of the Board we thank you for your continued membership and support of The Marine Club. If you are not already member of The Marine Club, then I hope you will take an opportunity to learn more about our organization and join us.